[INDOLOGY] Sanskrit Dictionary App for iPhone and iPad

Lubin, Tim LubinT at wlu.edu
Sun Dec 8 04:08:23 UTC 2013

The new Academic Room Skt Dictionary iPhone app sounds great in that it combines multiple dictionaries.  There is also an existing free Monier-Williams app which I have been using till now:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/monier/id580775858?mt=8
Fre
Mac computers: dictionaries can be added to the Dictionary app by inserting .dictionary files into the Dictionary folder inside the system Library folder.  R. Pollock has used DictUnifier (as Charles DiSimone suggests in the preceding message) to produce a decent version of MW:
http://rpollack.net/2009/04/monier-williams-for-apples-dictionaryapp/
(the link to the compressed 40 MB file is buried in the middle of a paragraph:
http://rpollack.net/mw-Sanskrit-English.dictionary.zip

I find it very convenient to be able to search MW using the Mac Dictionary app, though there is the problem that some entries that refer to another entry in another column cannot be tracked down easily, and there are a few miscoded words.

Tim

Timothy Lubin
Professor of Religion
Washington and Lee University