[INDOLOGY] Sacrificial Tortoise?

palaniappa at aol.com palaniappa at aol.com
Thu Aug 1 00:15:22 UTC 2013

George,

You may want to check out the following posts discussing this poem and agnicayana several years ago.

http://list.indology.info/pipermail/indology_list.indology.info/1998-July/013197.html
http://list.indology.info/pipermail/indology_list.indology.info/1998-July/013217.html
http://list.indology.info/pipermail/indology_list.indology.info/1998-July/013285.html
http://list.indology.info/pipermail/indology_list.indology.info/1998-July/013286.html
http://list.indology.info/pipermail/indology_list.indology.info/1998-July/013320.html
http://list.indology.info/pipermail/indology_list.indology.info/1998-July/013321.html

I would like to add two additional points in connection with the poem. At least by the 8th century, we see epigraphic evidence of a member of the brahmin-Vaidya family of high royal officials of the Pāṇṭiyan kingdom having the name Eyiṉaṉ. The family also had eclectic interests. This high status brahmin family seemed to be well-versed in music too. In contrast, brahmins involved in music in the Cilappatikāram are shown to be living apart.

Last August when I met Mr. Thottam Krishnan Nambudiri in Panjal in Kerala, I brought up this poem as the earliest mention of agnicayana in Tamil texts. At that time Mr. Nambudiri mentioned a Padma Purana story involving the tortoise and sacrifice. He did not recollect the reference. Seeking the reference, I posted the following message in Indology. http://list.indology.info/pipermail/indology_list.indology.info/2013-June/038136.html
Since I did not get any response to the post, I suspect it may not be in the Padma Purana. If it is found in any other Purana, I would appreciate the reference.

Thanks

Regards,
Palaniappan