[INDOLOGY] Resource for female students traveling to South Asia

Ute Huesken ute.huesken at ikos.uio.no
Mon Apr 29 22:26:16 UTC 2013

Dear all,

I very much appreciate that the topic is addressed in
detail by someone finally, and I sincerely hope that this triggers
serious discussions on the issue in academic circles.

Best

Ute
Huesken

Resource for female students traveling to South Asia

		DATE:

		2013-04-29 23:56

		FROM:
 		Frank Conlon
<conlon at U.WASHINGTON.EDU>

		TO:
 		H-ASIA at H-NET.MSU.EDU

		REPLY-TO:

		H-Net list for Asian History and Culture
<H-ASIA at H-NET.MSU.EDU>

H-ASIA
April 29, 2013

Resource for female
students traveling to South Asia

(x-post
RISA-L)
Ed.
note: Some old timers on H-ASIA will recall the quotation that
emerged
out of a fellowship selection meeting maybe twenty years ago
which ran
"Nobody should go to India for the first time." While this
gentle
ribbing about 'culture shock' has amused some friends, I think
Erin
Epperson has provided a very positive contribution to not "making

little jhok" but tackling an important issue. I have cross-posted
this
from RISA-L, and think it would be of real interest and utility
to all
scholars, women and men, heading off to South Asia. While one
item
refers to 'white women'--I suspect that in many contexts, the
skin of a
woman is irrelevant to predators, of whom there are many.

FFC

From: Erin H. Epperson <eheppe at uchicago.edu>

I am writing to share
with you a resource I hope will be helpful for your
students, especially
female students traveling to South Asia for the first
time. By way of
introduction, I am a Ph.D. Candidate from the University of
Chicago
writing about the role Buddhism played in the transmission
and
translation of Sanskrit literature into Tibetan. I have visited
India and
Nepal several times for research and language study and
recently spent 6
months in India for my dissertation research.

In
response to a shared experience of harassment with two other women
while
riding in an auto-rickshaw, I decided to start a blog addressing
harassment
issues for female travelers:
(http://travelingwhilefemale.blogspot.com/ [1])

The purpose of this