[INDOLOGY] CONF ANNOUNCEMENT: Conversion, Caste, and Coexistence: Christianity in South India, SMU (Dallas), Sept. 28th, 2013

Lindquist, Steven slindqui at mail.smu.edu
Thu Apr 25 14:59:42 UTC 2013

[please pardon x-posting]

Asian Studies at Southern Methodist University and the South Asia Research and Information Institute (Dallas) are pleased to announce our upcoming annual South Asia conference to be held on Sept. 28th, 2013 on the SMU campus.  This is a day-long conference that is free and open to the public.  Though I will send an announcement later in the summer with links to abstracts and registration information, if you intend to travel to Dallas to attend, feel free to contact me if you need additional information.

Information on previous conferences can be found at:

www.smu.edu/asianstudies

www.sarii.org

My best,

Steven

STEVEN LINDQUIST, PH.D.

ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR, RELIGIOUS STUDIES

DIRECTOR, ASIAN STUDIES

____________________

Southern Methodist University

PO Box 750202 | Dallas | TX | 75275

http://faculty.smu.edu/slindqui

CONFERENCE: Conversion, Caste, and Coexistence: Christianity in South India

September 28th, 2013

McCord Auditorium (Dallas Hall)

Southern Methodist University

Titles and Presenters:

At the Limit of Understanding: The 17th-Century Jesuit Critique of Rebirth (punarjanma)

Dr. Francis X. Clooney, SJ

Parkman Professor of Divinity and Professor of Comparative Theology, Harvard University

Brothers and Sisters on Earth and in Heaven: Kerala’s Hindu-Christian Coexistence

Dr. Corinne Dempsey

Associate Professor of Religious Studies, Nazareth College

Anglicanism and 'The Lutheran Aggression:' Conflicts over Caste, Class, and Conversion in South India

Dr. Robert E. Frykenberg

Professor Emeritus of History & South Asian Studies, University of Wisconsin - Madison

Social and Religious Experience of Dalit Christians in Kerala: A Historical Analysis

Dr. P. Sanal Mohan

Associate Professor, Mahatma Gandhi University

How Should We Understand Caste Oppression? Historians, Missionaries, and Dalits

Dr. Rupa Viswanath

Professor of Indian Religions, University of Göttingen