[INDOLOGY] Bhattacharyya's Sadhanamala edition

Dominik Wujastyk wujastyk at gmail.com
Thu Apr 4 09:14:23 UTC 2013

Benoytosh Bhattacharyya died in
1964<http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benoytosh_Bhattacharyya>.
So his copyright expires and his works become public domain in 2024, 60
years after his death (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries%27_copyright_length.  The
(C) rules specifically within Indian borders are laid out here, and seem
more relaxed than the various international legislations (to which India is
also a signatory): http://copyright.gov.in/Documents/handbook.html.

But the consensus in copyright discussions is that *critical editions* are
different from monographs or literary works, and the consensus is that
their copyright only extends to 25 years after publication.   This is law
in Germany (but may be reviewed soon), and is emerging as general usage
elsewhere.  So if the *Sadhanamala* vols are just edition,  or we're
talking about scans of just the edition parts, then they've been in the
public domain since 1985.
See

   - Margoni, Thomas and Perry, Mark, "Scientific and Critical Editions of
   Public Domain Works: An Example of European Copyright Law
   (Dis)Harmonization" (November 18, 2011). Canadian Intellectual Property
   Review, Vol. 27, p. 157. Available at SSRN:
   http://ssrn.com/abstract=1961535

Best,
Dominik

--