[INDOLOGY] INDOLOGY Digest, Vol 3, Issue 1

Andrew Nicholson andrew.nicholson at stonybrook.edu
Mon Apr 1 18:18:09 UTC 2013

Dear Patrick,

Forgive me if I've missed something in this discussion thread, but
isn't it likely that "dreer" is simply draSTR? This word appears 4
times it Patanjali's Yoga Sutras (1.3, 2.17, 2.20, 4.23) and denotes
the "seer" or "witness" (usually identified in the secondary
literature with the Samkhya concept of puruSa).

If you want to explore this concept I'd recommend Edwin Bryant's
translation and modern commentary, or T.S. Rukmani's translation of
Patanjali that also includes translations of Vyasa's and
Vijnanabhiksu's commentaries.

Best,
Andrew
Andrew J. Nicholson
Associate Professor (on leave 2012-2013)
SUNY Stony Brook
Stony Brook, NY 11794-5343  USA
Tel: (631) 632-4030  Fax: (631) 632-4098

Senior Fellow (2012-2013)
Martin Marty Center for the Advanced Study of Religion
University of Chicago
Chicago, IL 60637  USA
Tel: (773) 702-7049  Fax: (773) 702-6048