hinduism film recommendations

John William Nemec jwn3y at CMS.MAIL.VIRGINIA.EDU
Sun Sep 16 22:57:40 UTC 2012

*The Story of India* is a nice series.  I have not used it in classes, but enjoyed it very much.

There is also the film on Tantra recommended by James Mallinson on this list some time ago.  I bought that film and found it enthralling, though the scene involving cannibalism was haunting.

On Sun, 16 Sep 2012 22:29:09 +0000
 "Slouber, Michael J." <mjslouber at SMCM.EDU> wrote:
>Dear Vanessa and colleagues,
>
>*The Story of India* has been recommended to me several times, but I have only seen the trailer.  It looks very promising.  Here is a link: <http://www.pbs.org/thestoryofindia/>.
>
>Michael Slouber
>Visiting Assistant Professor
>Religious Studies
>St. Mary's College of Maryland
>http://garudam.info
>
>On Sep 16, 2012, at 8:43 AM, Vanessa Sasson, Dr. wrote:
>
>Dear colleagues,
>
>I am looking for a few new film recommendations for my Introduction to Hinduism course. I am embarrassed to admit that I still use the “Long Search Series” (which I love dearly), but our institutional copy is nearing the end of its life and I am certain that much better films have been produced since the 1970’s! I don’t use films very much and Hinduism is not actually my specialty, so I am very much out of the loop on this topic. The H-Buddhism list recently had a wonderful online conversation about good films to use for Buddhism courses and we compiled an extensive list of useful resources. I am hoping a similar phenomenon might take place here. I would be happy to compile all the recommendations that circulate as a result of this query and send them to the list.
>
>Sincerely,
>
>Vanessa R. Sasson
>Religious Studies
>Marianopolis College

John Nemec, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Indian Religions and South Asian Studies
Dept. of Religious Studies
University of Virginia
323 Gibson Hall / 1540 Jefferson Park Avenue
Charlottesville, VA 22904 (USA)
nemec at virginia.edu
+1-434-924-6716