On the Date of Classical Tamil Poems

George Hart glhart at BERKELEY.EDU
Mon Oct 22 19:43:49 UTC 2012

Dear Palaniappan,

I think you have made a good case for Pāṇaṉ and Bāṇa, and especially like the perumpāṇaṉ / bṛhadbāṇa, as even the alliteration works.  I hope you publish this, as it is significant, I think.  I am still not convinced by what you say about pāṇar in the Kuṟuntokai poem -- after reading many Sangam poems and working through much of the Akananuru, your interpretation just doesn't sound right to me.  Of course, that doesn't mean you aren't correct, but there's really no way to tell.  If the Pāṇar were standing to one side (or, more likely, in the middle of one side playing their drums), and a battle started, they'd still be looking in front and behind them to avoid being killed.  Thanks for an intriguing and informative analysis.

One remark: Why not use roman unicode, as it's very hard to read the transliteration that eschews diacritic marks.  I believe every OS and email program is capable of handling 8-bit unicode.

George