NS? (Re: [INDOLOGY] What about thirty-seven?

Lyne BANSAT-BOUDON lyne.bansat-boudon at EPHE.SORBONNE.FR
Sun Oct 21 17:02:09 UTC 2012

Dear Jean-Luc,

My apologies for answering quite (quite) late to your question. I
wonder whether it is still a topical subject for you…

At least, I can give an element of answer : according to the
Abhinavabhaaratii, Abhinavagupta's commentary on the Naa.tya"saastra
—  see, especially,  the mangala of the commentary on the first
chapter —the number 36 is justified by, and correlated with, the
number of the tattvas in the nondualistic "saivism of Kashmir  (where
there are 36 tattvas, the system adding a superstructure of 11
tattvas to the 25 tattvas of the Saa.mkhya).

Nevertheless, some editions of the texts present a 37th chapter, also
commented by Abhinavagupta!

On those questions, allow me to refer to my work:  Poétique du
théâtre indien. Lectures du Naa.tya"saastra. Paris, École Française
d’Extrême-Orient (« Publications de l’EFEO », 169), 1992, p.  27, and
notes 39 and 40.

Lyne Bansat-Boudon
Directeur d'études,
Ecole pratique des hautes études, Vème section