On the Date of Classical Tamil Poems

Tieken, H.J.H. H.J.H.Tieken at HUM.LEIDENUNIV.NL
Sun Oct 21 07:53:17 UTC 2012

Dear Dr Palaniappan,
why don't you look up the verb uRaL (you know which letters I mean with the capitals R and L here) in the Tamil Lexicon? It means, among other things, "alternate, going back- and forwards". As far as I am concerned with this the discussion is closed. I will be "out of station" for the coming 7 days anyhow.
Herman

-----Original Message-----
From: Indology on behalf of Sudalaimuthu Palaniappan
Sent: Sun 10/21/2012 2:39 AM
To: INDOLOGY at liverpool.ac.uk
Subject: Re: [INDOLOGY] On the Date of Classical Tamil Poems

Dear Dr. Tieken,

I am changing the transliteration convention because I see that my diacritics are not coming through properly as seen in your response.

I disagree with UVS's interpretation that the subject of 'kaNTa' was 'pANar'. Indeed so does the commentator perumazaippulavar who says "pANarkaL pulippArvai otta pArvaiyuTaiyarAkiya nilaimaiyin2aik kaNTa".  The subject is the village or village people. Clearly UVS found it did not make sense for the village people to cheer the bards when a battle is going on. So he interpreted "kaNTa" as 'kANappaTTa".

'uRaz' here is a particle of comparison and does not mean battle going up and down. Even UVS says nothing about the battle going up and down. In fact, he says, "puliyin2atu pArvaiyai otta nilaiyin2AR kANappaTTa" where "otta" is the gloss for "uRaz".

Eva Wilden considers 'uRaz' as a particle of comparison in her translation too. It is clear even she is perplexed with this puli nOkku. She notes, "What does pANar puli nOkku uRaz nilai mean? T. V.G . explains the situation of the comparison as a competition of bards who would exchange challenging looks with each other." T. V. Gopal Iyer's explanation does not make sense. In fact it is silly. Are the bards having a musical competition while the battle is going on?

The solution is very simple. The poem does not refer to bards at all. Here 'pANar' refers to the members of the bANa (Bana)  dynasty and their fighters.

There is clear evidence that the variation of Tamil p- >  Ka./Te. b- in the word 'pANa-' has occurred historically. Consider the name of a Saiva devotee pANa-bhadra. He is said to belong to the pANar community of Madurai. He is referred to as 'bANa' in a Kannada inscription of the 12th century in the Dharwar district. See EI, vol. 5, p.254. Palkuriki Somanatha also refers to one 'bANa'. (Somanatha does not seem to have received the information about the devotees from any literary source. He conflates cOza and pANTiya personages, kAviri and vaikai rivers, etc. In the case of bANa, he conflates human bANa's story with that of bANAsura.) With the Kannada and Telugu forms as bANa- , the devotee's name is later fully Sanskritized/hypercorrected as bANabhadra in a Sanskrit composition of Muthaiya Bhagavathar. In a Tamil wedding song sung by Brahmins, the name is pronounced as bANa-.  The hypercorrection of 'pANa-' into 'bANa-' has been taken to such extreme lengths that R. Nagaswamy in his recent book, Mirror of Tamil and Sanskrit, says,

"...The record states that he was to sing in the presenceof God of the Thiruvidaimarudur temple and direct other Banas for arranging theDancing girls to sing (Thiruvidai marudur - udaiyarukku - padavum, ikkoyilTaliyilarai paduvikkavum ikkoyil Devaradiyarai paduvikkavum Banapperaka). TheBanas were great singers from the Sangam age and we find the Banas, Yalpana wasa close friend of Jnana-sambandar and again we find the Banas were appointed inthe Great temple of Thanjavaur. According to this inscription the serviceshould be added to the temple service and the Bana should be paid one kalamof paddy per day should be paid to the Perariayan for singing. He should beallotted one residence as Banak-kudiyiruppu as before."

Thus in the case of the pANa- devotee, Ta. p- > Ka./Te. b- > Skt. b- and has become b- even in modernTamil contexts. In the case of the bANa dynasty, the sound variation has been Ta. p- > Te./Ka./Skt. b- > Ta. v-.

Literary Tamil scholars not being familiar with historical records and lacking adequate historical linguistic approach, have misinterpreted the poem thus missing significant historical insights.

Regards,
Palaniappan