Etymology and History of Kutiyattam

Heike Moser heike.moser at UNI-TUEBINGEN.DE
Fri Oct 12 11:27:17 UTC 2012

Dear all,

കൂടിയാട്ടം = kūṭiyāṭṭam = kūṭi-āṭṭam is clearly of Malayāḷam origin. It’s
meaning is "acting / performing together", "combined acting". Usually it
stands for the ‘performing together’ of at least two actors/actresses during
the final days of a performance cycle after several days of inserted
flashbacks presented by single characters. In the kūṭiyāṭṭam tradition long
solo-sequences or enactments with one character on stage only are called
"kūttu“ (i.e. "Naṅṅyār Kūttu" or "Aṅgulīyāṅkamkūttu").

I discussed the etymological misunderstanding concerning the Sanskrit root
"kūrd" in my dissertation "Naṅṅyār-Kūttu – ein Teilaspekt des
Sanskrittheaterkomplexes Kūṭiyāṭṭam. Historische Entwicklung und
performative Textumsetzung", Wiesbaden: Harrassowitz 2008, pages 4 and 21.

Best regards,
Heike Moser

Dr. Heike Moser

Akademische Rätin & Wissenschaftliche Koordinatorin

Eberhard Karls Universität Tübingen
Asien-Orient-Institut (AOI)
Abteilung für Indologie und Vergleichende Religionswissenschaft
Gartenstr. 19 · 72074 Tübingen
Telefon 07071 29-74005 · Mobil 0176 20030066 ·  Fax 07071 29-2675
heike.moser at uni-tuebingen.de

http://www.uni-tuebingen.de/indologie/mitarbeiter/heike-moser.html