Visit to Edakkal

Suresh Kolichala suresh.kolichala at GMAIL.COM
Wed Oct 10 16:42:51 UTC 2012

On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 11:24 PM, Sudalaimuthu Palaniappan <
palaniappa at aol.com> wrote:

> I am completely open with respect to what these markings may/may not mean.
> However, In my humble opinion, we need more careful work with better
>  equipment in order to first establish the shapes of the markings in
> question that all scholars can agree on. After that one can decide if they
> are letters or not and what those letters are.

Very interesting analysis, Palaniappan. This inscription has assumed
significance as some readings claim that the language represented
early-Malayalam, and thus proving the antiquity of Malayalam. It would be
interesting to know the opinions of the distinguished epigraphists on this
list about your analysis.

I would also like to know what the scholars on this list think about the
Tamil-Brahmi inscriptions of Adichanallur and Porunthal which some believe
belong to the 6th century BCE and 5th century BCE respectively.

Regards,
Suresh.