Fw: [INDOLOGY] svara as breathing/respiration

Nivedita Rout nivi71r at YAHOO.CO.IN
Tue Oct 9 03:17:13 UTC 2012

Thank you Sir very much for your valuable information. We find in Yogic texts, Svara is used in term of praa.na.

As you would know, there is a text available known as "svarodaya". I wonder why it is called svarodaya"saastra, why not praa.nodaya.

As per avaialble materials we find in its colophon: iti umaamahe"svarasa.mbaade svarodayaj~naana.m sa.mpuur.nam. After I closely went through available aagamas and puraa.nas I could not find its source text. I would be grateful for further information and help on this subject.

Once again thanks to all of you for your valuable informations.

with Best Regards,

________________________________
From: Dipak Bhattacharya <dbhattacharya200498 at YAHOO.COM>
To: INDOLOGY at liverpool.ac.uk
Sent: Monday, 8 October 2012 8:53 PM
Subject: [INDOLOGY] Fw: [INDOLOGY] svara as breathing/respiration

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: Dipak Bhattacharya <dbhattacharya200498 at yahoo.com>
To: Nivedita Rout <nivi71r at YAHOO.CO.IN>; "INDOLOGY at liverpool.ac.uk" <INDOLOGY at liverpool.ac.uk>
Sent: Monday, 8 October 2012 8:51 PM
Subject: Re: [INDOLOGY] svara as breathing/respiration

In the description of the generation of sound, Pāṇinīyaśikṣā vss 6cd and 7ab state:
‘The mind hits the bodily fire, that sends the (bodily) wind (=breath), the breath roaming in the breast generates a charming svara.’
The place of the wind ie breast seems to indicate that life-breath that is Prāṇa is meant. Not itself svara it is held responsible for its generation.
Best
DB