Commentators on the Vishnu Purana

Dipak Bhattacharya dbhattacharya200498 at YAHOO.COM
Tue Oct 2 02:14:41 UTC 2012

Not a high profile publication, I use an edition in Bengali character with a Bengali translation brought about by Panchanan Tarkaratna and his associates in the beginning of the last century. The edition is almost devoid of printing errors and is printed in clear modern characters. The translation, unlike many nineteenth century works,is faithful and hence very convenient. The edition is highly prized by modern scholars but, as far as I know,a reprint is not available yet.
Best
DB

________________________________
 From: Christopher Austin <christopher.austin at DAL.CA>
To: INDOLOGY at liverpool.ac.uk
Sent: Tuesday, 2 October 2012 1:44 AM
Subject: Re: [INDOLOGY] Commentators on the Vishnu Purana

Hello James,

I use:

Parimal Sanskrit Series no.21 : Visnumahapuranam of Maharsi Vedavyasa.
With the Sanskrit Commentary "Atmaprakasa" of Sridharacarya (vol.I :
amsas 1-3; vol. II: amsas 4-6). Edited by PT. Thaneshachandra Upreti.
Delhi: Parimal Publications 2011. This is a new printing, nice clear
nagari text with the commentary of the 14th century Sridharasvami
whose commentary on the Bhagavata is well known.

I also use the Pathak Baroda 2-volume critical edition ViP which
offers the BORI-style 2-column apparatus layout -- but no commentaries.

I as well would be curious to hear what other ViP commentaries beyond
Sridhara are available & in use by others.

Best,
Chris

Dr. Christopher R. Austin
Assistant Professor