Adipurana

Christophe Vielle christophe.vielle at UCLOUVAIN.BE
Thu Nov 29 09:42:17 UTC 2012

It is to be noted that according to Hazra, Studies in the UP vol. 1, pp. 279-303, 350, the Krishnaite Aadi-(upa)P in 29 chapters, as printed in 1891 at Calcutta with a Bengali translation and thereafter by the Venkateswara Press (zaka 1829), is a relatively late text, both interpolated (for its first 4 chapters) and incomplete comparing to several mss. bearing the same title which are in about 50 chapters. Moreover, there is an earlier "Aadi-(upa)P" or "AadyaP", now lost but quoted by the Nibandha-writers, which was thus another (the "original")  work (proclaimed by Sanatkumaara; saying for instance that a person born in Aaryaavarta is not allowed to go beyond the rivers Narmadaa in the South, Sindhu in the West and Karatoyaa in the East), the latter one being itself different from the puraa.nic fragment retrieved in Kashmir and edited by Yasuke Ikari & Takao Hayashi (in A Study of the Niilamata, Kyoto, 1994, pp.83-136) as the *Aadi-(mahaa)puraa.na (but in fact the "original" BrahmaP referred to by Hazra Puraa.nic Records p. 156-7 on the basis of Nibandha quotations; the BrahmaP is indeed sometimes called AadiP).
On the late AadiP as edited in 29 ch., see the following reference:

Ādipurāṇavimarśaḥ / Rurukumāramahāpātraḥ ;
pradhānasampādakaḥ Harekr̥ṣṇaśatapathī. -- Tirupatiḥ :
Rāṣṭriyasaṃskr̥tavidyāpīṭham, 2010.  xxvi, 172 p. ; 25 cm. -- (Rāṣṭriyasaṃskr̥tavidyāpīṭhagranthamālā ;222) (Pāramparikaśāstrasamutkarṣagranthamālā ; 60)
(Svarṇajayantīgranthamālā ; 19)
	In Sanskrit.
	Added t.p. title: Ādipurāṇavimarśaḥ.
	Study on the Ādipurāṇam, Hindu mythological text.
"The Adipurana is one of the Upapuranas supposedly written by a disciple of Vyasa. The work describes the story of Lord Krishna, the episodes relating to Radha and Krishna, the description of Mathura and Brindhavana, praise of Brindhavana which is the most favourite and eternal abode of Krishna in which he sports and exploits which are to be experienced through love and devotion etc. are described. The book has five chapters discussing the topics"

Le 28 nov. 2012 à 22:23, Manu Francis a écrit :

> Dear list members,
>
> Has anybody an electronic text and/or a scan of the Vaishnava Upapurana named Adipurana in 29 chapters dealing with the story of Krishna?
> I would greatly appreciate to have access to these.
>
> With best wishes.
>
> --
> Emmanuel Francis
> Chargé de recherche CNRS, Centre d'étude de l'Inde et de l'Asie du Sud (EHESS-CNRS), Paris
> Associate member, Centre for the Study of Manuscript Culture (SFB 950), Universität Hamburg

Christophe Vielle
Louvain-la-Neuve

Editor, Publications de l'Institut Orientaliste de Louvain series
- Last Indological issues: PIOL nos 53, 60
- Still available: Mahāprajñāpāramitāśāstra (vols 1-2-3-4-5),  Asaṅga's Mahāyānasaṃgraha, Vimalakīrtinirdeśa, Lamotte's History of Indian Buddhism, etc.