m-/b- alternation in Burushaski

Suresh Kolichala suresh.kolichala at GMAIL.COM
Mon Nov 19 15:21:14 UTC 2012

Thanks Hans and Dipak for the clarification. Now I understand why Witzel
referred to *m/bruža* without any explanation: splitting of sonorant
clusters by an insertion of a homorganic voiced stop is a well-known
phenomenon in Indo-European.

I also looked at Witzel's references to von Hinüber 1980 (in German) and
1989, but I still do not see where the ancient self-designation of the
Burusho- people as *m**ruža *is attested. I appreciate any help in tracing
the attestation of *mruž**a*.

Thanks,
Suresh.