old tamil

Jean-Luc Chevillard jean-luc.chevillard at UNIV-PARIS-DIDEROT.FR
Mon Nov 19 02:55:12 UTC 2012

Dear  SP,

you write

<QUOTE SP>

"This interpretation of /kāmaram/ as /cīkāmaram/ is as silly as
  equating the word /rāga/ with /Śrīrāga/, a specific melody, and
reflects these commentators' ignorance of epigraphic evidence of the use
of the word /kāmaram/.

</QUOTE SP>

How would you comment on the use of Kāmaram
in the Tirumuṟaikaṇṭapurāṇam?
in this verse:

ஒன்றாகுங் காந்தார பஞ்சமத்துக் கோரிரண்டாம் /
நன்றான சீர்நட்ட பாடைக்கு நவின்றுரைக்கில் /
குன்றாத புறநீர்மைக் கிரண்டாகுங் கூறுமிசை /
ஒன்றாகக் காமரத்துக் கொன்றாகப் போற்றினார் (42)

oṉṟākuṅ kāntāra pañcamattuk kōriraṇṭām /
naṉṟāṉa cīrnaṭṭa pāṭaikku naviṉṟuraikkil /
kuṉṟāta puṟanīrmaik kiraṇṭākuṅ kūṟumicai /
oṉṟākak kāmarattuk koṉṟākap pōṟṟiṉār (42)

This is part of the enumeration where kaṭṭaḷai-s are attributed to the
various paṇ-ṣ

See the translation by Karen Pechilis Prentiss
in the /International Journal of Hindu Studies 5, 1 (April 2001)
where this verse is translated on pp. 40-41.

See also the pages 212-213 inside the 1947 book /Yāḻ Nūl/
by Vipulānanta Cuvāmikaḷ
(published by the Karantai Tamiḻ Caṅkam).
where he reproduces a section of
Tirumuṟaikaṇṭapurāṇam.

He later discusses two kaṭṭaḷai-s for cīkāmaram
on p. 235-236.

That seems to mean that Vipulānanta Cuvāmikaḷ
accepts the equation between "cīkāmaram"
and "kāmaram".

(is this not parallel to the fact that the same place can be referred to
as Kāḻi and as Cīkāḻi?)

I suppose that means that all of that is open for discussion.

I would like to comment that usings words such as "silly" and
"parroting" does not belong in an academic discussion. These words are
unnecessarily aggressive or insulting. :-(

It is enough to say that one disagrees with other people's interpretations.

Thanks for the many interesting insights which your post contains

-- Jean-Luc Chevillard (CNRS, UMR 7597)
  (currently in Pondicherry, at the EFEO center)