m-/b- alternation in Burushaski

Suresh Kolichala suresh.kolichala at GMAIL.COM
Sat Nov 17 16:22:30 UTC 2012

The list may recall our discussion on Narmada and Narbada alternation, and
the possible sound change where intervocalic labial nasal transforms to
become an oral stop along the following lines: *-m- > -**β̃*- > -v/*b*-.

However, I was surprised to find a word-initial alternation of m and b in
one of the famous papers Witzel wrote in 1999 (he was very prolific in that
year). He  says the following in this paper (
http://www.people.fas.harvard.edu/~witzel/MT-Substrates.pdf):

North of this area, at the northern bend of the Indus (Baltistan/Hunza),
 Burushaski is spoken. However, the language and the tribal name are
indirectly attested in this general area ever since the RV: **m/b*ruža
 (mod. burušo) > Ved. Mūja-vant, Avestan Muža.

Is such m-/b- alternation a known Burushaski phenomenon? Witzel seems to
suggest that Mruža was the the ancient self designation of the Burusho-
people but, unfortunately, without any helpful references.

I appreciate any information or pointers on such transformation.

Thanks,
Suresh.

It is interesting that Brahui, a Dravidian language now found in the
southwestern corner of Pakistan, also shows a similar transformation:

**mē(l)-*  'over, above' > Br. b*ē-*
**mi**ṭ- '*to leap'* > *Br.* ***bi**ṭ- *'to throw, let drop'

However, this change is apparently conditioned by a following front vowel
(Dravidian nasals in Brahui, Krishnamurti 2001:121-126), and perhaps
unrelated to the above alternation.