Question on Pali syntax

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at UMICH.EDU
Thu Nov 15 16:07:18 UTC 2012

Hello Colleagues,

     I am reading the Mahāsatipaṭṭhānasutta from the Dīghanikāya with a few
students.  In this Sutta, phrases like atthi kāyo, atthi cittam, atthi
vedanā are quite frequent, and pose no problems.  However, then comes the
phrase atthi dhammā a few times.  It is quite clear from the context that
dhammā is nominative plural (other refs in the context in plural: dhammesu
dhammānupassī).  I am wondering how to explain the syntax of the phrase
atthi dhammā.  Any suggestions?  Perhaps, K.R. Norman might have an
explanation.  Does anyone have his email address?  Thanks.

Madhav

--
Madhav M. Deshpande
Professor of Sanskrit and Linguistics