A cheap little bit of self-promotion

McComas Taylor McComas.Taylor at ANU.EDU.AU
Thu May 24 06:28:45 UTC 2012

Colleagues, you might think that modesty would prevent me from posting this - not so.

I am pleased to report that our Sanskrit program has just been awarded the Australian National University's Vice-Chancellor's 2012 Award for Excellence in Education. There are three things that I think caught the assessors' eye:
1. we teach Sanskrit as a 'Living tradition' that includes Spoken Sanskrit, chanting and singing (here I must acknowledge the wonderful inspiration and contribution of my friend and colleague Dr Sadananda Das of Leipzig),
2. the course is flexibly delivered - this means that all my mini-lectures are prerecorded and are available online asynchronously to anyone with internet access (I claim to be the only lecturer in the world who exports Sanskrit to India), which leads to
3. our enrolments have grown steadily from 6 in 2006 to 40 in 2012, which makes my director and dean happy

If you would like to find out more, please have a look at the portfolio:
https://alliance.anu.edu.au/access/content/user/u3936301/VC_award_portfolio_2012-1.pdf

If even that is not enough, there is a 5-min video introducing our Sanskrit 1 website: http://www.screenr.com/YF78

Yours

McComas

McComas Taylor
Head, South Asia Program
ANU College of Asia and the Pacific
Tel: +61 2 6125 3179
Location: Baldessin Precinct Building, 4.24
Website: McComas Taylor(http://arktos.anu.edu.au/chill/index.php/mct)Courses: Learn about some of my courses: Sanskrit 1(http://www.screenr.com/NSBs) | Indian Epics(http://screenr.com/uUBs)