Rajayoga

Elizabeth De Michelis e.demichelis at YMAIL.COM
Mon May 21 02:03:23 UTC 2012

Dear Members of the list,

following an exchange of messages involving Jim Mallinson and Jason Birch it turns out that Jason and I already discussed this matter some time ago, and that he clarified it in his aforementioned paper. As he reminded me:

QUOTE

Its unlikely that Rājayoga means Patañjali's Yogasūtras per se in
Vijñānabhikṣu's work, but either samādhi or samyama (ie., the internal
auxiliaries taken together). I discuss this in my 'meaning of haṭha'
paper (pp. 543-44 and n 119-121).
Ironically, you are probably correct that the Theosophists were the first to mistake Rājayoga with the Yogasūtras per se.
UNQUOTE

With all good wishes,

Elizabeth De Michelis

________________________________
 From: Elizabeth De Michelis <e.demichelis at YMAIL.COM>
To: INDOLOGY at liverpool.ac.uk
Sent: Tuesday, 8 May 2012, 23:28
Subject: Re: [INDOLOGY] Rajayoga

Dear Dermot, Jim and members of the list,

please allow me to clear up an inaccuracy which found its way in my book, and was echoed by Jim as expressed in his email below.

As Jim points out, I stated that Vivekananda played a pioneering role in defining rājayoga
asYogasūtra-type meditative practice as opposed to
other forms of yoga,and especially haṭha. Georg Feuerstein correctly pointed out in a
review of my book(http://www.traditionalyogastudies.com/reviews_yoga_modern-yoga.html)that such a distinction, and in the same terms, is
already made byVijñānabhikṣu in his Yogasārasaṃgraha (which as many of you will know is a work attempting to summarise and and explain the Yogasūtra and Vyāsabhāsya). The translationof that passage (:55 in English; : 39 in Sanskrit in the same book) goes:

"We do not enter into the details of Postures,
because our subjectmatter is _Raja-Yoga_ (in which postures occupy only a
secondaryposition). For a full treatment of all forms of
postures and thepurification of the veins and arteries we refer the
reader to works on_Hatha-Yoga_. Postures have been described."

Here are the full biblio details of the book from the
Bodleian Library(Oxford) records:

Author             Vijñānabhiksu,
16th cent.
Uniform Title             Yogasārasangraha.
English & Sanskrit
Title             Yogasārasangraha
/ Vijñānabhiksupranīta ; anuvādaka Gangānātha Jhā
Edition             Punarmudrita
samskarana
Publisher             Dill°i
: Caukhambā Samskrta Pratisthāna, 1992
Description             102,
64 p. ; 22 cm
Series             Vrajajīvana
prācya bhāratī granthamālā ; 6
Notes             Basic
tenets of the Yoga school in Hindu philosophy; includes
translation in English
English and Sanskrit
Reprint. Originally published: Madras : Theosophical
Pub. House, 1933
(T.P.H. oriental series ; no. 10)
Title on added t.p.: Yoga-sāra-sangraha of
Vijñāna-Bhiksu
Subjects             Yoga
Philosophy, Indic
Alternate Title             Yoga-sāra-sangraha
of Vijñāna-Bhiksu
Other Names             Jha,
Ganganatha, Sir, 1871-1941.

I plan to correct the above, and integrate the latest research on the this and related topics (such as Jim's and Jason's) in a second edition of my _History of Modern Yoga_ which is under discussion with the publishers.

With all good wishes,

Elizabeth De Michelis
Independent scholar
Cambridge, UK