Hindu Sound

George Thompson gthomgt at GMAIL.COM
Fri May 11 18:57:00 UTC 2012

Dear Harsha,

As far as early Vedic is concerned, I think that an important source for
mantra recitation is Vedic observations of animal vocalization, such as in
the RV frog hymn, RV 7.103, the basic theme of which is that Brahmins sit
around a vat of soma chanting their mantras, just as frogs sit around a
lake chanting theirs.  Such analogies are also found in the calling of cows
to their calves, the neighing of horses, the bleating of goats, etc.

Frits Staal has written about the correlation between mantras and
bird-song, of course.

As far as I know, no one else has published more about this, but I am
presently writing about it for a forthcoming RV anthology.

Best wishes,

George Thompson