Fwd: [INDOLOGY] Edward Conze's Memoirs

Asko Parpola asko.parpola at HELSINKI.FI
Mon May 7 15:58:53 UTC 2012

I have kept the following email communication by Paul Williams, Centre
for Buddhist Studies, University of Bristol, on the 20th of Oct. 1995.
With best regards, AP

The bulk of Edward Conze's books and papers are held in the University
of Bristol Library. However, when they were bought from Mrs. Conze
soon after her husband's death, she did not let the library have the
manuscript of Vol. 3 of the Memoirs, saying that EC did not wish it to
be published until all those mentioned in the book were dead. Around
1992 Mrs Conze told that she had destroyed the manuscript, thinking
that its publication would not be good for the reputation of EC. But
there may be another copy. Shenpen Hookham (the author of "The Buddha
Within") may have access to some of Conze's papers not in Bristol --
perhaps she knows where it is.