Manuscript copies of printed books

Allen Thrasher alanus1216 at YAHOO.COM
Fri Mar 23 20:46:28 UTC 2012

This raises a question, which I think I raised on the list some years ago, but which might be worth raising again.  What is the value of printed (commercial) editions of old works as testimonia?  Should they be included in the sources collated for critical editions?

Not quite on the same subject, but perhaps related, is something Jim Nye of Chicago told me some years ago.  He discovered that Ananadashrama Press eds. of the same title frequently represent different readings, that instead of resetting the text from a copy of an earlier ed. they published, they would sometimes start over from scratch.  Consequently he was trying to get copies of all the Press's editions for the Regenstein, not only all its titles.

Allen