Manuscript copies of printed books

Steve Farmer saf at SAFARMER.COM
Thu Mar 22 21:17:05 UTC 2012

I don't know about the case in India, but in Europe long after the printing revolution poor scholars regularly copied  by hand huge printed volumes for their own use, apparently due to the exorbitant price of scholarly books. (Some things never change.)

I once worked with a handwritten copy preserved in the Biblioteca Medicea Laurenziana in Florence of two massive printed volumes of the Opera omnia of the 15th century Latin philosopher Marsilius Ficinus. The student  had copied out a 16th-century printed text -- remarkably enough a common one -- that was well over 1000 pages long!

When editing a different Latin text from the late 15th century (the Conclusiones of Ioannes Picus Mirandulanus) I found after spending months of work meticulously transcribing and collating all known manuscripts of the work that all of them, without exception, were handwritten copies, and not the originals, of the rare editio princeps or *earlier* handwritten copies of the printed text.

Regards,
Steve Farmer