Trouble finding an Advaita śloka

Michael Williams Michael.Williams at POSTGRAD.MANCHESTER.AC.UK
Fri Mar 9 11:18:20 UTC 2012

Dear All,

I am having trouble locating a quote which the Mādhva thinker Jayatīrtha mentions in his commentary on Madhva's Upādhikhaṇḍana. The well-known quote is clearly from an Advaitin source, and I am almost certain it is Vimuktātman's Iṣṭasiddhi. It reads as follows:

durghaṭatvaṃ avidyāyā bhūṣaṇaṃ na tu dūṣaṇaṃ
kathaṃcid ghaṭamānatve, 'vidyātvaṃ durghaṭaṃ bhavet

If anyone knows precisely where this quote comes from, I would be most grateful for the details.

Thanks and best wishes,

Michael Williams