Santipur OT

Richard Hayes rhayes at UNM.EDU
Mon Jun 18 13:29:30 UTC 2012

On Jun 17, 2012, at 7:27 AM, Patrick Olivelle <jpo at UTS.CC.UTEXAS.EDU> wrote:

> As many of us MAC-people know, all this can be accomplished easily on MACs by using the keyboard "Devanarati - QWERTY". Unfortunately, this does not work well with MS Word, which does not support Unicode well (at least on MACs).

A few years ago I put together a set of Keynote presentations for teaching Sanskrit. Alas, when I converted them to PowerPoint and viewed them in Microsoft Office, they were badly garbled. The only workaround I could find to make them available to Windows-based students was to export them as PDF files. All the MS Office for Mac applications I have tested make a mess of Unicode once one uses non-roman scripts. Why can't Apple and Microsoft learn to get along?

Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy
University of New Mexico