Sinhala ligatures

Artur Karp karp at UW.EDU.PL
Mon Jun 11 18:02:55 UTC 2012

Dear List Members,

I have agreed to prepare the international transliteration and Polish
transcription
tables for the Sinhalese script - for a publication planned by the
Commission on Standardization of Geographical Names outside the
Republic of Poland.

Unfortunately, the Sinhalese fonts I have at my disposal (Potha,
Iskool Pota, Kandy & Kaputa Unicode) do not allow one to create
ligatures ( sucha sa: kva, kṣa, ñña, ddha, dva, tva, nda, etc.). The
same goes for grafemes with adscript consonants (r-, -r, -y: ṛṇa, rya,
dra, dya, kya, tya, vya).

The Web has a lot of examples of such ligatures, but always inserted
in the text as graphic files.

Does anyone, by any chance, know of a downloadable Sinhala font that
would show these elements? Or - of such ligatures emebedded in some
document - but not as graphics?

Thanking you in advance,

Artur Karp

Senior Lecturer in Sanskrit and Pali (ret.)
South Asian Studies Dept.
University of Warsaw.