non-western philosophy as NOT philosophy

John Taber jataber at UNM.EDU
Sun Jun 10 16:34:08 UTC 2012

Dear Madhav,

My impression is that Anglo-American philosophers of the last century
were more concerned with distinguishing philosophy from science than
from religion. It seemed obvious to them that it is not religion,
since it does not accept revelation as evidence. But they worried
about what role remained for philosophy after so many of the
disciplines that were traditionally part of it (physics, astronomy,
psychology) had been taken over by the exact sciences. Noteworthy
statements are: the last chapter in B. Russell's "The Problems of
Philosophy," titled "The Value of Philosophy"; Isaiah Berlin's essay
"The Purpose of Philosophy" (contained in "Concepts and Categories").
Also G. E. Moore's "What is Philosophy?" in "Some Main Problems of
Philosophy." Others will have other suggestions. These accessible and
lucidly written attempts to define philosophy (there is of course no
universally accepted definition) would be very helpful for students
wondering how it is different from religion.

John Taber