branding for children

Ute Huesken ute.huesken at URZ.UNI-HEIDELBERG.DE
Wed Jun 6 23:35:09 UTC 2012

Dear Adam,
the aspects that are not dealt with in Srilata Raman's and my dealing
with "branding" (tapasaskara, taptasamskara) as part of the five
Vaishnava samskaras (pancasamskara) is the fact that in contemporary
South Indian practice the initiation into Vaishnavahood is usually
performed only for adults. However, it seems that the Pancaratra
priests (for them it is one of a number of initiations) perform these
five samskaras in conjunction with upanayana - and thus usually  at
the age of ca. 8-15 years. However, I am not aware of any medical
explanation for this practice.
Best
Ute