branding and children

christoph.emmrich at UTORONTO.CA christoph.emmrich at UTORONTO.CA
Wed Jun 6 03:54:47 UTC 2012

Dear Adam,

Here are two studies by Srilata Raman on a South Indian practice that
includes branding:

Raman, Srilata. 2005. Sam??raya?a [Samaashrayana] as Ritual and Non-Ritual in
?r?vai??avism (Shrivaishnavism). In Jörg Genganagel, Ute Hüsken and
Srilata Raman (Eds.), Words and Deeds. Hindu and Buddhist Rituals in
South Asia. Vienna: Harrasowitz. 91-114.

Raman, Srilata. 2007. Initiation and Conversion in Medieval South
India. Pañcasa?sk?ra [Panchasamskaara] as Historical Practice in the
?r?vai??ava [Shrivaishnava] Hagiographical Literature. In Gerhard
Oberhammer and Marion Rastelli (Eds.), The Relationship between
Vi?i???dvaita [Vishishtaadvaita] and P?ñcar?tra [Pancharaatra].
Vienna: Austrian Academy of Sciences. 263-286.

Sincerely,
Christoph

----

Christoph Emmrich