non-western philosophy as NOT philosophy

Jan Westerhoff westerhoff at CANTAB.NET
Tue Jun 5 13:29:16 UTC 2012

David,
some interesting discussion of this matter (together with relevant quotes)
can be found in the introductory section of Jonardon Ganeri's: Indian
Logic: A Reader (Routledge 2001).

Regards

Jan

On Mon, June 4, 2012 16:51, David Fiordalis wrote:
> Dear colleagues,
>

> On Sun, Jun 3, 2012 at 10:16 PM, <mkapstei at uchicago.edu> wrote:
> Some Indology subscribers may be interested in the
> following, from the electronic edition of the New York Times:
>
> http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/06/03/philosophys-western-bias/
> ?ref=global-home
>

> As someone who will be teaching an intro course called "Philosophy East
> and West" this coming academic year, the article Justin Smith published in
>  nytimes.com resonated with me. I'm glad that Matthew Kapstein posted it
> to this list.
>
> This may not be the most appropriate forum to ask, but given the wide
> reading of the members of this list, maybe some will have good suggestions
>  to the following query. I'm currently looking for are clear, accessible
> statements -- proof-texts if you like -- from Western philosophical
> literature of the claim that non-western philosophy (Indian, Chinese,
> Islamic, African, etc.) is not philosophy or is otherwise lesser in some
> respect. Most often, this is an implicit assumption or one easily follows.
>  I'm looking for a few choice quotes or short readings that will make an
> impact undergraduates with little to no prior exposure to the issue.
>
> Thanks for any suggestions you might have.
>

> Sincerely,
>

> David Fiordalis
> Linfield College

JC Westerhoff