Date of Bhavatr āta

Sudalaimuthu Palaniappan palaniappa at AOL.COM
Sat Jul 14 13:48:18 UTC 2012

I have checked Asko Parpola's 1983 article, "The Passages of the Jaiminīya Śrautasūtra Dealing with the Agnicayana, together with Bhavatrāta's Commentary," in Agni: The Vedic Ritual of the Fire Altar (1983).

Parpola says, "In the introductory verses, Bhavatrāta mentions his compassionate father Mātṛdatta, who was a trivedin. Daṇḍin, who lived around A.D. 700 (see Kunjan Pillai 1954, 23), speaks in very much the same terms of his friend, the great Vedic scholar Mātṛdatta, whose father and son were both called Bhavarāta (sic), the former a Kalpasūtraṭīkākāra from Kerala (Avantisundarīkathā, edited by Kunjan Pillai, 1954, p.13, II.21ff.)."

It is obvious that the names indicated by Dandin are

Bhavarāta - grandfather
Mātṛdatta -father, the friend of Daṇḍin
Bhavarāta - son

I have also looked at Asko Parpola's 1984 paper, "On the Jaiminīya and Vādhūla Traditions of South India and the Pāṇḍu/Pāṇḍava Problem." This paper provides more details regarding Bhavatrāta, the commentator of Jaiminīya Śrautasūtra. In this paper we find that Bhavatrāta's father;s name was Mātṛdatta and his grandfather's name was Hastiśarman. Hastiśarman came to Kerala from the village of Vasiṣṭhakuṭi.

So we have the following geneology given by Bhavatrāta.

Hastiśarman - grandfather
Mātṛdatta - father
Bhavatrāta - son

I am surprised that scholars so readily identified Bhavarāta, the grandfather, with Hastiśarman and Bhavarāta, Hastiśarman's grandson, with Bhavatrāta. They have assumed that Hastiśarman changed his name to Bhavatrāta on moving to Kerala!

Given the appearance of Vasiṣṭhakuṭi only in a late 14th century inscription while all earlier inscriptions only call it Tiṭṭaikuṭi,  I do not consider the identification of the author of the commentary on Jaiminīya Śrautasūtra with a person mentioned by Daṇḍin is justified. ((There is an inscription by Kumāra Kampaṇa of Vijayanagara of ca. 1373 CE which refers to the village as Tiṭṭaikuṭi and not as Vasiṣṭhakuṭi.) Of course, if we find any inscription attesting to the occurrence of the name Vasiṣṭakuṭi earlier in the epigraphical record, then we will have to revise this conclusion.

This suggests that any conclusions regarding the date of the movement of Sāma Vedic traditions or brahmins from the Cōḻa country to Kerala based on Bhavatrāta's commentary need to be revised despite whatever legends that might prevail among Namboothiri families regarding Bhavatrāta.

Regards,
Palaniappan