Vishnu on the banks of the Volga river

Ulrich T. Kragh utkragh at HUM.KU.DK
Sat Feb 25 15:33:03 UTC 2012

Professor Kapstein wrote:
>I have not succeeded in locating the reference, but I
>recall that many years ago, in a Danish academic series,
>I came across an archeological report on the discovery
>of a Buddha image in burial in a Danish bog.

One Danish Viking-age figure that has been seen as a buddha-figure by some is the following (see the part on "Grave goods" on the middle of the page):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oseberg_ship

An Asian origin is, however, doubtful and the cross on the figure's chest may also indicate a Christian origin even if the swastikas look very South Asian.

Best,
Tim

Dr. Ulrich Timme Kragh (from Denmark)
IIAS, Leiden University