Computer technology, Tamil fonts, word-processing applications, scholarly works (?) ...

rajam rajam at EARTHLINK.NET
Fri Feb 24 18:09:52 UTC 2012

Dear Members of the List(s),

First, my apologies and thanks to those that are not interested in
this topic. Please use the "Delete" button, which is very handy! :-)

Anyway, I have some questions about using Nisus Pro (for the Mac OS),
and was encouraged by a posting by a scholar (Kapp? pardon me for
forgetting the precise name and email ID).

My situation
------------------
1. I've been using computers since 1979 (with education from the
Moore School of Engineering and Wharton at Penn). So, ... I'm
comfortable using any computer hardware and software.

2. I've used Nisus Pro, so it's not new to me. I've also used
FrameMaker, which I think is the best word-processing application,
and unfortunately discontinued for the Mac OS after a certain
version. I do not find MS Word a user-friendly application for
handling certain non-Roman fonts such as Tamil. sigh. gripe!

3. I've been working on a paper-manuscript (from ~1547). I have
almost completed the work (an incredibly difficult task started and
completed by my collaborator), my foot-notes, and what-not (as you
scholars know what it involves to write and prepare a "camera-ready
copy").

4. I'm using a loaned Mac OS X (Lion) (from George Hart), which has
Nisus Pro (2.0.2). I've used Nisus Pro before, so it's not new to me.

5. Having used FrameMaker for many years (at 10+ different computer
companies), I realized that MS Word was not good enough for my
academic work. But, God, this Nisus Pro is amazingly chewing up my
time endlessly! Their user manual is really not very helpful. It just
describes how to use the Menu Items, but does not tell us how to do
certain things. All in all, a lousy deal. Try to generate a TOC, or
try to "Go to" a certain page ... . See what happens.

6. There seem to be many bugs ("cockroach-type") in the product
(Nisus Pro). Generating a TOC, Indexing, Table formation ... to list
a few of the problems in this software. Try to develop a Table, and
try to modify it's columns/cells just by grabbing on to the cursor.

I need
Someone (or more) who would be willing to help me through my current
project, using my loaned Mac OS X (10.7) using Tamil fonts, using
Nisus Pro, generating a proper TOC, generating a proper Index, and so
on and so forth.

Kindly contact me off line, so other members on this list are not
bothered by my gripe.

Thanks and regards,
rajam