Prenatal suffering [Was: A Query re the development of garbha]

Paolo Magnone paolo.magnone at UNICATT.IT
Tue Feb 21 17:02:57 UTC 2012

Dear Johanna,

While still residing in the womb (/garbhastha/) the embryo is said to be
pressed by the /chorion/ like one squeezed down by mountains; soaked by
the amniotic fluid like one fallen into the sea; “cooked” by digestive
fire like one thrown into a hot brass pot; and experiencing eight times
as much suffering as one pierced by red-hot needles. The suffering
inflicted by the dreadful contraption of the vagina (/yoniyantra/) at
deliverance is, however, 10 million times as much as that experienced in
the womb. The /dehin/ who has finally “thickened” (/sammūrchita/!) and
is ready to be born is thoroughly crushed like a cane by a grinder, his
head pounded by a nasty hammer while he is helplessly blown out by the
powerful winds of childbirth. Crushed by the /yoniyantra/, the newborn
body is as sapless as a sugar cane driven through a grinder. Then the
text goes on to expatiate on the impurity of the bodily frame by
detailing its filthy components.

As a consequence of the agony of childbirth the newborn baby is seized
by a violent fever which erases the memory of past lives and the
embryo’s former resolve to attain liberation through /śivajñāna./ It is
indeed as a remedy for such forgetfulness that the present /śāstra
/(i.e. the /Śivadharmottara/) has been proclaimed by Śiva, in order to
denounce the evils of /saṁsāra/ and make for heaven or liberation.

All this surely stands in stark contrast to Western psychoanalytic views
of a prenatal “paradise lost”! What about East Asian views?

Paolo Magnone
Sanskrit Language and Literature
Catholic University of the Sacred Heart (Milan)

Jambudvipa  - Indology and Sanskrit Studies (www.jambudvipa.net)