the Brill Typeface--MAC. Linux

Jonathan Silk kauzeya at GMAIL.COM
Tue Feb 7 07:21:41 UTC 2012

Following up my earlier mail to the list:

from the "User Guide"

The Brill fonts basically work on all modern computer systems, both PC and
Mac. The PC operating system
should be at least MS Windows XP; Macs should have OS X v. 10.4 or newer. [We
have not tested the Brill
fonts on Linux systems.] More advanced features of the Brill fonts –
Opentype features such as true small
caps, ligatures, stylistic sets – are available in some applications but
not in others. For instance, MS Office
Word versions 2010 (Windows) and 2011 (Mac OS X) support ligatures, provide
access to stylistic sets, and
to alternate number forms and spacing; earlier versions of Word do not –
and true small caps are still
not accessible in MS Word, in any version. Page layout programs like Adobe
InDesign provide the fullest
support. On Mac OS X, especially from v. 10.6.x, many OpenType features are
available to programs like
TextEdit and Nisus Writer Pro through the operating system’s Typography
palette (accessible through the
‘gear’ button in the Fonts panel); Mellel uses its own mechanism.

--
J. Silk
Instituut Kern / Universiteit Leiden