Terms for Negation ?

Dipak Bhattacharya dbhattacharya200498 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Feb 2 17:56:53 UTC 2012

Perhaps you might try St. Petersburg with hara. It will be time consuming. There should be other terms like ṛṇa that I do not remember immediately. These terms are taught in primary class arithmetic meaning denominator and minus. alābhaḥ  and  anucchedaḥ mean no profit and no loss respectively.
There is a paper in Sanskrit ’Vārtāśāstrīyaṃ  kiñcit’   by Vibhūti Bhūṣaṇa Bhaṭṭācārya on the accounting system and
market management in Kauṭilya’s
Arthaśāstra published in
the Sārasavatī suṣamā VS 2006 and 2007. The concepts come into
discussion. One may disagree on some points but the paper is informative and
innovative. But I read it in the seventies and cannot accurately tell
everything.
Best
DB
Best
DB

________________________________
 From: Artur Karp <karp at UW.EDU.PL>
To: INDOLOGY at liverpool.ac.uk
Sent: Thursday, 2 February 2012 10:06 PM
Subject: Re: [INDOLOGY] Terms for Negation ?

Dear List,

A bit tangentially: what is the Sanskrit term for 'liability' (minus-value)?

Could philosophical interest in the idea of "negated reality" ('zero-value', 'lack of existence', 'emptiness') mirror in any way the development of accounting methods and techniques?

Regards,

Artur Karp

Senior Lecturer in Sanskrit and Pali (ret.)
South Asian Studies Dept.
University of Warsaw
Poland