Terms for Negation ?

Dipak Bhattacharya dbhattacharya200498 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Feb 2 06:32:19 UTC 2012

2.2.12
Dear Colleagues
I could not note if the following has already been brought to
notice. In that case please ignore it.
Vyākaraṇa
teachers have to deal with and teach two types of prohibition -- pratiṣedha = predicative, paryudāsa = exception. The Nyāyakoṣa cites a definition.
There is an idea of six-semantic shades of negation, not
necessarily prohibition, for which the see the Bālamanoramā on S.K.756 = P.2.2.6 . This is said
to be the view of  prācīnas= ‘old?’  ‘eastern?’
Best
DB

________________________________
 From: Stephen Hodge <s.hodge at PADMACHOLING.PLUS.COM>
To: INDOLOGY at liverpool.ac.uk
Sent: Thursday, 2 February 2012 12:02 AM
Subject: [INDOLOGY] Terms for Negation ?

Dear Colleagues,

The general term in tradtional Sanskrit grammars for negation is, of course, pratiṣedha.  Due to my lack of in-depth familiarity with the traditional grammars, I wonder if somebody might be able to help me.  I am trying to find Sanskrit terms, if any, for the different sub-classes of negation, in particular for the various types of "a-" (for the negative of privation etc). All I can find are examples of about 6 sub-categories, but no terminology. I am trying to retrovert with a modicom of accuracy some terms from Tibetan. Any suggestions most welcome.

Best wishes,

Stephen Hodge