gaNita

Jean-Michel Delire jmdelire at ULB.AC.BE
Fri Dec 28 09:43:33 UTC 2012

Dear list members,

The VedANga JyotiSa mentions arithmetics (gaNita) as the head of the Vedic teaching, "as is the crest of the peacock and the jewels of the snakes". The first image is quite clear, but does anyone know the meaning of the second ? What exactly is intended by the "jewels of the snake" and in what other source could we find this figure ?
Another query : I am looking for ancient numerical inscriptions (i.e. showing figures, numbers in decimal notation), either in Indian locations or in good copies, books, articles, etc.

With my best wishes for 2013,

Jean Michel Delire,
Lecturer on "Science and Civilization in India - Sanskrit texts", University of Brussels