mok ṣa/siddhis = freedom from / freedom to

Dominic Goodall dominic.goodall at GMAIL.COM
Thu Dec 20 07:39:03 UTC 2012

Dear colleagues,
Alex Watson has just asked me to forward this query to the list.  Any leads?
Dominic Goodall

Dear Colleagues

I remember that Tuvia Gelblum, in a talk at SOAS about the Yogasūtras, elaborated the difference between the pursuit of mokṣa and the pursuit of siddhis as a difference between a search for 'freedom from' and a search for 'freedom to'.

Has anyone seen someone in print applying this dichotomy between two kinds of freedom to the distinction between mokṣa and siddhis?

Yours Alex