Citation

L.S. Cousins selwyn at NTLWORLD.COM
Sat Dec 15 17:26:12 UTC 2012

Dear Patrick,

I would guess it is an abbreviated version of a stock passage. In Pali
we have:

/puna caparaṃ, bhikkhave, tathāgato dibbena cakkhunā visuddhena
atikkantamānusakena satte passati cavamāne upapajjamāne hīne paṇīte
suvaṇṇe dubbaṇṇe, sugate duggate yathākammūpage satte pajānāti/

This is found at AN III 418; V 35f.; 38; Paṭis II 175; cf. MN I 70; Vibh
344. The sequence occurs elsewhere with various speakers and addressees,
but here the honorific /tathāgato/ is equivalent to /ahaṃ/. The sequence
occurs also in abbreviated forms; so a citation as /puna caparaṃ,
bhikkhave, tathāgato dibbena cakkhunā ... pe ... sugate duggate
yathākammūpage satte pajānāti/ would not be surprising.

The stock passage occurs in Sanskrit also e.g. in the Saṃghabhedavastu:
MSV IV 221: /sa evaṃ samāhite citte ... divyena cakṣuṣā
viśuddhenātikrāntamānuṣyakena satvān paśyati cyavamānān upapadyamānān
api suvarṇān api durvarṇān api hīnān api praṇītān api sugatim api
gacchato durgatim api yathākarmopayogān satvān yathābhūtaṃ prajānāti//
/
and in various Mahāyāna contexts, but something closer to the Pali
version probably existed in /sūtras/ that are no longer extant. Indeed,
a longer search might find a closer parallel in surviving fragments
somewhere.

Lance Cousins