two publications in Southeast Asian epigraphy and history

Arlo Griffiths arlogriffiths at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Dec 14 08:23:11 UTC 2012

Dear colleagues,

After the exciting news about the publication of the epigraphical material from the Hoq cave on Soqotra, I would like to announce here two publications concerning more easterly lands with a tradition of Indian-style (and partly Sanskrit-language) epigraphy.

Boechari, Melacak Sejarah Kuno Indonesia Lewat Prasasti. Tracing Ancient Indonesian History through Inscriptions. Jakarta: Kepustakaan Populer Gramedia, Universitas Indonesia and École française d'Extrême-Orient. November 2012. XXXI+644 p., 16 × 24 cm. ISBN Indonesia 978-979-91-0520-2. ISBN France 978-285-53-9473-2. INR 59.000.
    [The work is a volume of collected papers and previously unpublished transcriptions by the leading post-independence Indonesian epigraphist Boechari. About half are in English, and there is significant overlap in subject matter between certain English articles and certain articles in Indonesian included in the volume, so that even those who do not read Indonesian can get a fairly comprehensive impression of the authors discoveries and ideas by consulting this volume. I attach some pages of front-matter, including the table of contents.]

Arlo Griffiths, Amandine Lepoutre, William A. Southworth & Thành Phần, Văn khắc Chămpa tại Bảo tàng Điêu khắc Chăm – Đà Nẵng. The Inscriptions of Campā at the Museum of Cham Sculpture in Đà Nẵng. Hanoi:  École française d’Extrême-Orient. Ho Chi Minh City: Center for Vietnamese and Southeast Asian Studies, University of Social Sciences and Humanities, Vietnam National University Ho Chi Minh City and VNUHCM Publishing House. December 2012. 288 p., 18.5 × 27.5 cm. ISBN Vietnam 978-604-918-015-6. ISBN France 978-2-85539-469-5. VND 170.000.
    [The work is fully bilingual. It comprises a detailed catalog in English, including edition and translation of all inscriptions held in the Museum of Cham Sculpture at Đà Nẵng; the same is also included translated from the authors' English into Vietnamese. The work is illustrated with 58 black and white and 38 full color illustrations of the inscriptions themselves, and their estampages in the EFEO collection. I again attach some pages of front-matter, including the table of contents.]

Both works cost less than 10 € in the local currencies. They will be distributed through our office in Paris: <efeo-diffusion at efeo.net> but it will take a few months before the copies destined for Paris reach there.

Best wishes,

Arlo Griffiths
EFEO/Jakarta