SARIT and a new e-Mahabharata

shrinivasa varakhedi shrivara at GMAIL.COM
Sat Dec 8 19:43:23 UTC 2012

Dear colleagues,

Thanks to Dr.Dominik Wujastyk and his team for the support in distributing this e-text through SARIT.

I would like to share the credit of creating this entire e-text of the Mahabharata edition with my team members that supported my work. Starting from my work in Rashtriya Sanskrit Vidyapeetha, Tirupati, I continued this work with the support of my research team members in various places - Hyd and Bangalore, the result of which I wanted to share with the scholarly community. I thank one and all who made this possible. My thanks are due to Professor KV Ramakrishnamacharyulu, Amba Kulakarni, Prof. Prahladachar, Members of MSP Bangalore and many others.

Please improve this version and use. In case any error is found, please let us, which will be helpful in bringing better version.

warm regards,
shrivarakhedi

On 07-Dec-2012, at 1:59 AM, Dominik Wujastyk wrote:

> Dear INDOLOGYists,
>
> As you may know, the SARIT service, running at http://sarit.indology.info, is a project that aims to offer freely-downloadable electronic editions of Indic texts, together with a menu-driven interface to make it easy to search, index, and do other useful things with the e-texts.  E-texts in SARIT are editions in the scholarly sense: they have a transparent history and provenance, they can be cited accurately, and they represent a fixed point of reference that can be used in footnotes and bibliographies.
>
> SARIT is the beginning of a scholarly language corpus for Sanskrit and related languages.  As such, it aims to set an example of doing things "the right way." That is to say, the base e-texts are encoded ("marked-up") using the Guidelines of the Text Encoding Initiative.  A big part of that is the addition of structured meta-data to the top of the files, the "TEI Header," that gives a full and structured account of the provenance of the e-text, who has done what to it, and a history of changes as it evolves and is corrected or updated.
>
> There's more than this to the design of the SARIT project, but I'll stop there for the moment.  Files prepared "the SARIT way" are useful for many purposes in computing and the humanities, far beyond SARIT itself.  TEI encoding is, in fact, now the accepted standard for all serious textual work in humanities computing.  There are all sorts of fascinating things one can do with e-texts, once one has materials in the TEI format.
>
> We have been adding e-texts to SARIT for a few years now, slowly and carefully, learning all the time.  There is already a sizeable corpus of materials and SARIT is already more than merely a test system.  However, this week the SARIT text corpus took a giant step forward, through the addition of a new text of the complete Mahabharata, the "Southern recension."
>
> During the last few years, Professor Shrinivasa Varakhedi, Dean and Director, Karnataka Sanskrit University, has created an e-text of the seventeen-volume "Kumbakonam" Mahabharata, i.e.,
>
> Krishnacharya, T. R. & Vyasacharya, T. R. (Eds.) Śrīḥ Śrīman Mahābhāratam. Saṭippaṇam ldots Ṭī. Ār. Kṛṣṇācāryeṇa Ṭī. Ār. Vyāsācāryeṇa ca anekeṣāṃ viduṣāṃ sāhāyyena dākṣiṇātyabahukośānusāreṇa saṃśodhya = Sriman Mahabharatam. A New Edition Mainly Based on the South Indian Texts, with Footnotes and Readings Nirnayasagar Press, Bombay, 1906--1910.
>
> A few weeks ago, Professor Varakhedi contacted me with the wish to give this e-text freely to the world of scholarship.  I'm delighted to say that my colleague Patrick Mc Allister, who is webmaster for the SARIT and INDOLOGY websites, with minor assistance from Dr John Smith and myself, has now marked up the Mahabharata files donated by Prof. Varakhedi following the TEI Guidelines, and the e-text was published on the SARIT server yesterday.
> [...]

with warm regards,
shrivara

Contact:
shrinivasa varakhedi