Tirumukk ūḍal in Chingleput dist.

Dominik Wujastyk wujastyk at GMAIL.COM
Sat Aug 25 07:53:50 UTC 2012

Dear colleagues,

Has anyone personally visited Tirumukkūḍal in the Madhurantakam taluk of
the Chingleput district (here, I
think<https://maps.google.com/maps?q=thirumukkudal&hl=en&hq=thirumukkudal&t=m&z=16>)?
There is temple there to Viṣṇu Veṅkaṭēśa-Perumāḷ that has an inscription
that was reported on by Subrahmanya Ayyar of Coimbatore, in EI 21.  The
temple has an inscription describing the funding, establishment, and
organisation of a clinic or hospital.

What I would like to know is whether there are any visible or
archaeological signs that this institution was built, rather than just
being legislated for.  I see no reason to doubt that it was built, but I am
wondering about physical remains.

If you have been there, I'd be grateful for any observations.

Best, and with thanks,

Dominik Wujastyk