PuNDarIka sacrifice

Jörg Gengnagel joerg.gengnagel at URZ.UNI-HEIDELBERG.DE
Mon Apr 2 12:32:37 UTC 2012

Dear François,

just a short addition: The Rājguru of Savāī Jaisingh, Ratnākara Dīkṣita
Mahāśabde, was given the title Samrāṭ and Puṇḍārīka (or Pauṇḍarīka). The
titles are linked to the Vājapeya- and Puṇḍarīka-sacrifices performed in
1709 and 1713.
See: Horstmann, Monika. 2009. Der Zusammenhalt der Welt. Religiöse
Herrschaftslegitiation und Religionspolitik Mahārājā Savāī Jaisinghs
(1700-1743). Harrassowitz. On Ratnākara pp. 24-39.
P. 25, fn. 41 "Bei dem Puṇḍarīka-Opfer handelt es sich um ein
einundzwanzigtägiges Soma-Opfer". So now we have to check whether 11 or
21 days is correct.
Best

Joerg

--
Priv.-Doz. Dr. Jörg Gengnagel
Heidelberg University

South Asia Institute
Department of Cultural and Religious History of South Asia (Classical Indology)
Im Neuenheimer Feld 330
D-69120 Heidelberg
phone: +49(0)6221/54-8906
fax:   +49(0)6221/54-8841