Sanskrit tatoo fail

Dominik Wujastyk wujastyk at GMAIL.COM
Sat Sep 3 07:22:04 UTC 2011

See, Sanskrit is important and useful.

Like Herman - I waded through Katie and Russell's Sanskrit antics when it
was in the news a little ago, complete with blow-up graphics to spot that
pesky anusvāra.

What interests me most about all this is that they don't want to know
something from the Sanskrit tradition.  They already know what it is they
wish to express, namely "go with the flow."  It's a bit inane, but it's not
a bad sentiment, after all.  But they want it in expressed Sanskrit.

Is it that putting it in Sanskrit gives it some charm, or even authority,
that it wouldn't otherwise have?  Or do they want, rather, to suggest that
"go with the flow" (henceforth GWTF) is really a Sanskrit saying?  Or that
if Sanskrit is the Language of Truth, then something true (?) must have been
said in Sanskrit, somewhere.

All this reminds me of the wonderful and charming stories of F. W. Bain,
which are what Indian fairy stories *should* be.  Bain said he found them in
a Sanskrit manuscript, in Pune, if I remember rightly, though he actually
made them all up himself.  They were better than the truth, but still had to
be projected onto Sanskrit literature to gain authority and recognition.

Dominik