Porunthal: dating of paddy in the 5th century B.C. and possible consequences on the evaluation of the history of writing in India

Jean-Luc CHEVILLARD jean-luc.chevillard at UNIV-PARIS-DIDEROT.FR
Sun Oct 16 16:34:59 UTC 2011

Dear Corinna,

you might be interested in seeing what the newspaper wrote
in june 2009, when the discovery was made.

If you examine what K.Rajan said to the newspapers 2 years ago
(in june 2009),

"http://www.hindu.com/2009/06/28/stories/2009062854701600.htm"

you can see that at the time,
he thought that the grave was dated much later.

You can read in The Hindu
what he wrote
at the time

<QUOTE>
K. Rajan, Head of the Department of History, Pondicherry University,
who directed the excavation, about 12 km from Palani in Tamil Nadu,
called the discovery of Tamil-Brahmi script “very important” because
it had been found in a remote village and goes to show that literacy
had spread to even far-flung villages during the early Christian era.
On palaeographical grounds, the script could be dated between the
first century B.C. and the first century A.D., he said.
</QUOTE>

Regarding the nature of the artefact,
it was written in the same article that:

<QUOTE>
Opinion is, however, divided on whether the three letters are in
Tamil-Brahmi or they are graffiti marks. Dr. Rajan quoted Y.
Subbarayalu, Head of the Department of Indology, the French Institute
of Pondicherry, and epigraphist S. Rajagopal as saying they were
graffiti marks. However, V. Vedachalam, retired senior epigraphist,
Tamil Nadu Archaeology Department, and S. Rajavelu, senior
epigraphist, Archaeological Survey of India, agreed with Mr. Mahadevan
that it was Tamil-Brahmi. Dr. Vedachalam said the symbol of the bead
had been found on every pot found in the cist-burial.
</QUOTE>

See also some comments on INDOLOGY at that time

See for instance:

"http://listserv.liv.ac.uk/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0906&L=indology&D=1&O=D&F=P&P=11690"

"http://listserv.liv.ac.uk/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0906&L=indology&D=1&O=D&F=P&P=11790"

"http://listserv.liv.ac.uk/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0906&L=indology&D=0&F=P&O=D&P=13101"

One of the things which seems clear is that K.Rajan was taken by
surprise by the dating (in the 5th century BC).

Cheers

-- Jean-Luc