What's the difference between Arabic and Sanskrit

Dominik Wujastyk wujastyk at GMAIL.COM
Sun Oct 2 20:09:40 UTC 2011

I came across this post in a Yahoo site just now.  It made me gasp aloud.

Jennifer asks,

What is the difference between sanskrit and Arabic?

> I wanted to get a tattoo in Arabic because I have an egyptian fascination
> and want a consistent flow of relativity on my body seeing as how I already
> have an ankh. A friend of mine told me I should get sanskrit because it is
> more closely related to egypt. And I think Arabic is prettier.

In fact, Jennifer has received five informative answers, setting her
straight, one even explaining Panini and the Astadhyayi.  The correspondent
"Z" makes an unassailable truth claim by asserting "I am arabic."

The conclusion we must draw is that tatoo parlours badly need more
Indologists.  And Arabists, and Egyptologists.

Dominik