FW: [INDOLOGY] FW: Vivaha Panchami (Nov 29)

Jo jkirk at SPRO.NET
Tue Nov 29 15:10:00 UTC 2011

Hello Artur,

Thanks for identifying the rishi.

We shouldn't talk about "multiple Ramayanas",…………

Well, Nepal doesn’t function under the sign of Hindutva, so I’d surmise that few there would object to the “many Ramayanas” idea.  The friend who sends me these announcements of Kathmandu festivals has a sense of humor—he usually gets the puranic and epic posters from Eden. However, it is worth noting that during the Indra jatra in Kathmandu taking bhang (as well as booze) is part of the ritual. It’s a rite of reversal, anthropologically speaking.

Regards,

Joanna